Thomas Ankersmit (Netherlands, 1979) is a musician and composer based in Berlin. His work is released on the Touch and PAN labels. Ankersmit has long-term collaborations with New York minimalist Phill Niblock and Italian composer Valerio Tricoli. Since 2006 his main instrument, both live and in the studio, has been the Serge Modular synthesizer.
Acoustic phenomena such as sound reflections, infrasonic vibration, otoacoustic emissions, and highly directional projections of sound play a central role in his work. His music is also characterized by a deliberate misuse of the equipment, using feedback and disruptions to the signal, and the extremes of frequency and dynamics, to create visceral but finely detailed swarms of sound. Ultimately, the result is an immersive, intensely physical sonic experience.
Ankersmit has performed throughout Europe, North and South America, the Middle East, and Asia. His work has been presented at venues such as Hamburger Bahnhof and KW Institute for Contemporary Art, Berlin; Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam; Kunsthalle, Basel; Serralves Museum, Porto; MoMA PS1, New York; and at festivals for experimental and contemporary music all over the world. He has been a guest lecturer at universities such as Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, CalArts, and the Universität der Künste in Berlin.
Current projects include commissioned works for CTM/Berghain (Berlin) based on infrasound and architectural resonance, and for GRM (Paris) based on the research of Pierre Schaeffer, as well as new live electronic music with Phill Niblock.
Download a press photo here (credit: Alex Inglizian).
- SHAPE+ announces 2023/2024 roster of artists
- SHAPE+ platform announces open call for 2023/2024
- Resonance FM show on TodaysArt 2017
- Pictures: Skaņu Mežs at Riga’s White Night event
- Photos: SHAPE @ CTM Festival 2017
- Hear our latest Resonance FM show with Thomas Ankersmit, Stefan Fraunberger and Boska
- Thomas Ankersmit on ghost sounds and working with Phill Niblock
- SHAPE platform announces artist list of 2017
- Terraforma 2023
- CYNETART 2017 – Enlightenment for the Nerd
- TodaysArt 2017
- Skaņu Mežs at Riga’s White Night
- CTM 2017 – FEAR ANGER LOVE